Tuesday 4 August 2015

The Silver Linings Playbook

This is the copy I have.

Title: The Silver Linings Playbook

Author: Matthew Quick


Rating: 5/5

Reading Time: 6-8 hrs

Bookworm Appeal: Another mental illness?
                               : A messed up love story?
                               : Page turner?
                               : Funny, I think?
                               : Touching and kinda inspirational?


If you thought Still Alice was frustrating wait till you read this one!


Review 

I love this book. It's an amazing read. Seriously, I literally could not put it down. I read it in class, I read it during recess, I read it while talking to my friends. You get the idea. For me, my relationship with our lead, Pat was bittersweet. I love Pat and his optimism but, he was so addicted to getting his silver lining it was tiring and frustrating. While reading this book, most of my time was spent yelling "OMG!!! Give up! Move on, Pat! "She doesn't care about you anymore, Tiffany does!" and smacking the book with my hand or throwing the book on the table, pacing the room, then picking the book back up and reading it.

This book was spoiled for me because of the movie. I know what your thinking, Well, duh if you watch the movie your bound to get spoiled. But, it wasn't like that, well it was, but different. In the book, they don't tell you Pat's backstory until near the end of the book but, in the movie it was one of the first scenes and even though I only watched 15 mins of the movie, I was already spoiled and wasn't able to experience the whole 'MIND BLOWN' moment that I deserve. I was kinda sad but, I still loved the book no matter how stupid Pat can be.

I also like this book because it makes you think. Like during the T.O. overdosing and people asking him to kill himself and all the other stuff. I like the part but, not like support the haters but support Pat.

I love the romance between Pat and Tiffany. It's so sweet. How they better each other and how they tell each other their secrets. And how they go out of their way for each other. And how they both run together and how he goes to her when his parents were...

I loved the ending. I practically read the three last pages at least 60 times and I've just finished it.

Summary

This book is narrated by Pat. A 34 year old guy who's still hung up on his estranged wife (I wanted to use a different name but, that would ruin the plot), and by hung up, I mean seriously hung up. Pat has a theory, his life is a movie produced by god. And his mission is to better himself so that God will give him, his estranged wife, Nikki. He believes that there will always be a silver lining. After getting out of his mental institution, a.k.a the bad place he meets Tiffany. An odd woman who also needs therapy and who also seems to pursue him. So, in this growing up (?) novel, is him getting over the past facing reality, getting his memories and surviving the harsh world while living with a horrible father, a weird, super nice, kinda crazy therapist and being haunted by Kenny G.

Read this amazing book, it's too good to not read.

"Just don't let me disappear. I'mma tell you everything. So, tell me what you want  to hear, something that were like those years. Tired of all the insincere. So, I'm gonna give all my secrets away."
                                                                                                                          - Secrets, One Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment